Obstetrics - I’m 17 and terrified about first appointment. Can y’all help me know what to expect?:Health care

What is "Obstetrics " ?



Obstetrics is the field of study concentrated on pregnancy, childbirth and the postpartum period. As a medical specialty, obstetrics is combined with gynecology under the discipline known as obstetrics and gynecology (OB/GYN), which is a surgical field.



My experience over Obstetrics "I’m 17 and terrified about first appointment. Can y’all help me know what to expect?"

Okay so. I’m 17, I live in Florida, and my mom is making me go to the obgyn on Tuesday. I am scared shitless due to a mix of her body shaming and my general anxiety. So I might have pcos and I’m going to get screened, and she figured she would lump in a general checkup. Here’s where the ick is:

  1. I don’t wanna go. At all. She’s extremely judgy and has already started harassing me about shaving my legs so that I’ll look “presentable” which is just stressing me out.

  2. Is there a way I get to keep my clothes on???? Like is that paper gown thing absolutely mandatory. Like if I wear a dress will I be okay? This is the main source of my fear because I’m extremely uncomfortable with being naked in front of a stranger- and somehow even more scared of being naked in front of my MOM.

  3. Does my mom have to be in the room with me? This is why I mentioned I’m from FL, as I know laws change from place to place. I absolutely do NOT want her in there with me but she says she has to be, I REALLY hope this isn’t the case! So I would appreciate it if I someone could let me know if I can self advocate and ask for her to be outside.

  4. What actually happens during a PCOS screening/ gen. checkup? I’ve heard other women speaking about Pap smears and how much it hurts so I am (probably) rightfully terrified.

  5. Will they make me go on birth control? I’m not sexually active nor am I planning to be; but I have a very irregular period (1-2 times a year at most, like 5 days tops, never had a single cramp in my life) it is wonderful and I don’t want to have to get my period every single month and I’m planning to get one of those implants when I turn 18 since I’ve heard they make your period go away.

The period thing is less about my period itself and more about the fact that I’ve been using a menstrual cup for the last few years and don’t want to have to explain to my mom why I don’t need pads all of a sudden because it makes me want to throw up every time she’s asks me about my period or she tells me about her. Bodily functions make me extremely uncomfortable.

I know this is a lot but any guidance from someone who’s gone through this that isn’t as judgy as my mom is would be so helpful because I’m a nervous wreck right now and I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

submitted by /u/BetterRefrigerator60
[link] [comments]

" Thinking of you lots and hoping for your speedy recovery. "

Post a Comment

0 Comments