Obstetrics - PID without STIs? Recovery timeline?:Health care

What is "Obstetrics " ?



Obstetrics is the field of study concentrated on pregnancy, childbirth and the postpartum period. As a medical specialty, obstetrics is combined with gynecology under the discipline known as obstetrics and gynecology (OB/GYN), which is a surgical field.



My experience over Obstetrics "PID without STIs? Recovery timeline?"

Hi all. Thanks in advance for thoughts. Apologies for wordy post - I guess I had a lot to vent and unsure where to turn. TL;DR "after treatment for PID when can I expect to feel better, how may this affect my future, and what could have caused this infection?"

I've had pelvic pains for maybe two years, and issues with discharge that felt watery yet "pilling", dryness, recurring yeast and/or BV, some problem that lasted ten months where I would "clamp up" uncomfortably at any kind of penetration (psychosomatic?). After little help from the ovestin or canesten I was given over the phone, I tried to treat by switching from the pill (on it for 12 years) to a copper coil a year and a half ago.

These little things stacked up, but were easily brushed off by doctors as common or anxiety-related, or due to a change of contraception as my periods got heavier and more painful. I would do tests for chlamydia and gonorrhea every time I had a new partner, even when using condoms - partly because of paranoia, and also because it seemed to be each professional's first port of call: "do a test so we can rule that out." I'd had a bad experience with an ex's infidelity that left me with herpes, hsv1 that luckily has not returned much since. The first papercut-like outbreak occurred just before my coil was fitted and was diagnosed during that same appointment. Part of me is scared this was dangerous, as a nurse I mentioned it to afterwards seemed surprised - "and they went ahead with inserting it anyway?"

Things came to a head when I made the huge mistake of leaving a tampon in for nearly two full days two months ago - I'm usually a menstrual cup user, but had to make do on a road trip so completely forgot. I removed it, called in, but since I didn't have a fever or symptoms beyond slight cramps, they said it'd be ok.I waited for a week after this incident before having sex again and as soon as there was any depth to it, it really hurt. Saw my doctor as soon as I could and she diagnosed PID: two weeks of metronidazole and doxycyline. After these drugs I had a follow-up and I asked for an ultrasound, as I felt pain was more localised on just the left-hand side, and I'd had a cyst there years prior. She noted improvement, but took the IUD out before imaging and pointing out to me the left-hand fallopian tube was distended or occluded, with a "sactosalpinx". What bothered me was that she asked again whether it was possible at all that I might have (had) chlamydia "even at some point in the past?" I asked her whether there was anything else that could have caused it, but the answer was vague - "a number of things". She told me my continued discomfort was normal, but I was given a ten-day dose of cephalexin to be on the safe side.

This was just over two weeks ago and I can't help but feel dread. I keep thinking about how long this could have been going on, if it could have harmed my potential to conceive, and about the raw antibiotic-itch and diarrhea I put up with for seemingly little result. Was it the coil, was it the tampon, was it the herpes or a non-silicone sex toy, or that one time I had vaginal sex after anal when I know I really shouldn't have? I'm so tired of little cramps all the time, of becoming scared of intimacy, of feeling like I was made out to be careless or unwittingly contracting things when I spent years looking out for clues, documenting that decidual cast or sharp twinge or urinary urgency, swabbing or pricking with the home-test kits, or queuing at the clinic for four hours when I began to worry I'm causing false-negatives. Is there something they could have missed? Is the PID treated now, even if I feel these pains eg. is this sharp pricking on the left the salpinx draining or the cervix adjusting to the coil removal? Haven't dared have sex, but after testing the waters with a vibrator two days ago the orgasm definitely left me with more aching afterwards than it was worth. Is this just life now? How long is long enough for it to merit another appointment? I'm nearing thirty and the first thoughts of having a family are creeping in, and my grandmother recently died of ovarian cancer. So maybe I'm overthinking it.

Thank you for your time.

submitted by /u/Demimondial
[link] [comments]

" Thinking of you lots and hoping for your speedy recovery. "

Post a Comment

0 Comments